Sunday, August 16, 2009

think for yourself

The long-awaited date has come.

15.08 has passed.

Everyone is returning to Warsaw.
Soon enough we'll be meeting again on weekends, there's a birthday party scheduled for 22th of August...

I will be lifted out of my stagnation into the sun.

Meanwhile, I've been playing WoW and watch a lot of stand-up comedian sketches.
My two favourite comedians...

George Carlin.
His style has two sides. He sees through the rot in our civilization very clearly, but on the other hand, he knows a lot about those things in life that we share, like when you think there's one more step while walking down the stairs or when you think all Thursday that it's actually Wednesday (both have occured to me).
And... Bill Hicks.
He's far more cutting than George Carlin. His favourite topics (with some overlap with Carlin) are religion, civilization and the inherent corruption in both, the truth about America and the truth about drugs and his own philosophy of life.

Positive Drug Story
Play From Your Fucking Heart

I really enjoy stand-up comedy for some reason. Mostly when under that "comedy" cover there's a cutting, thoughtful world view coming from people that actually form their own insightful and informed opinions.
Of course, the motto there is thinking for oneself... I can't say I agree fully with Bill's support of drugs, but I agree that people should be free to choose their poison and that allowing beer and cigarettes - fine drugs much like any other, can ruin your health (and alcohol CAN RUIN LIVES just as well as any other drug they love to warn everyone about) - makes stories of drugs ruining someone's life hypocritical.

Hope you enjoy these comedians. It's worth noting that Tool led me to Bill Hicks via them tributing him in the Aenema album - in the attached art and in the song Third Eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment