Sunday, August 2, 2009

high hopes

This summer is probably one of my small turning points in life. I've started a blog already, something I've been holding back on.

Another thing I've been holding back on, I have already mentioned in the first post.

Every time I visit one of my guitarist friends, I can't resist the urge to borrow their instrument for a while and play around, trying to figure out a recent song that's stuck in my head. There are a few bits of songs that I already remember the frets for - not that I could just say it off the top of my head, but when I have a guitar in my hands, I remember.

It's always like this. My neighbour friend is a bassist, but that's not an instrument for me. Two friends of mine from among the Blacks own electric guitars. Sadly, one of them is lefthanded and so is his guitar. I can never resist...
They don't especially mind, and the bassist has suggested that I should at least find out if my interest is not just a passing thing.

So I decided... I'm going to step forward and give it a go. Soon, I'm buying an acoustic guitar. Those are not as costly as electric guitars, don't need amplification and I like their sound. They're vaguely similar to electric guitars in some aspects, too.

Maybe the story with the piano won't repeat itself... (Incidentally, we're selling the piano off.)

edit: Uh, yeah... actually, I'll be getting an electric one after all, I guess. Because I won't feel good without distortion.

1 comment:

  1. Best advice I can give is find a song you like the sound of and that isn't overly complex and play it endlessly until you have it down. For me, that song was The Light and the Glass by Coheed and Cambria (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bFzBOZ9piM) and Clapton's Tears in Heaven. Being able to enjoy what you're playing was far more important to me than learning chord sequence and structure and all the theory that I'll look at later, though as an introduction to that I've just started on Music When the Lights Go Out by The Libertines. I'm hardly great and don't play that much, but that was my first major stepping stone into getting somewhere.

    Secondly, acoustics are harder to learn on, which is better for finger strength in the long run but doesn't do your fingers any favours when they're not already hardened. Either way, good luck with it, I'm just itching to get my hands on drum kit personally ;)

    ReplyDelete